Tips for Labourers | Outdoor Job Sites
I read a great article this week about skin cancer prevention for labourers. It had some easy to follow tips, here are the highlights. Do you work for a labour hire company? If the answer is yes then you need to read the following article.
In the Australian climate today taking care in the sun is paramount. Melbourne labourers can often suffer from long term sun damage sometimes resulting in skin cancer.
Sun Protection Tips For Labourers
- Minimise the amount of time you spend in the sun. From 10am in the morning to approximately 4pm in the afternoon is the worst time to be in the sun.
- Always use sunscreen when labouring outdoors. Get tyour sunscreen on thirty minutes before commencing work, and try to reapply every couple of hours.
- Wear a hat and long sleeve shirts, try to keep your neck covered and wear long pants. This is good for sun protection and workplace hazards as well.
- Applying a lip and zinc cream to your nose is always well advised too.
- Sunglasses with up to 400 mm absorbtion, or meets ANSI UV standards. Enusre your sunglasses are also up to saftey impact standards as well.
- Do monthly examinations of your skin each month, skin cancers can present in a variety of different ways, so its a good idea to keep note of anything that is unusal on your skin. Especially in sun affected areas.
- Book in once a year to see a doctor to have a check up. Tell them that you are a labourer and that you work on outdoor jobsites.
- Dont forget even in the cold Melbourne winters the sun can still do damage to your skin, so always be sun smart!!
- Dont Forget To: SLIP - SLOP - SLAP